Thursday, December 13, 2007

Starting to Feel It


I believe Ron Sexsmith's "Maybe this Christmas" is destined for timelessness. It will be a chestnut for the ages. They're going to be singing it long after it goes into the public domain. But it isn't there just yet (in the public domain, that is). And since I kinda feel a personal attachment to Ron, I'll not link to an mp3. I know, old school of me; but that too kind of goes with the olde-tyme spirit of the season I'm feeling now. Besides, I'm sure you've heard it. Anyway, it is a wonderful song, lyrically and musically. I dwell in it, this time of year. Peace to us all, ok?

Maybe this Christmas will mean something more
Maybe this year love will appear
Deeper than ever before
And maybe forgiveness will ask us to call
Someone we love
Someone we’ve lost
For reasons we can’t quite recall
Mmm, maybe this Christmas

Maybe there’ll be an open door
Maybe the star that shined before
Will shine once more

And maybe this Christmas will find us at last
In heaven, at peace
Prayed for at least
For the love we’ve been shown in the past
Maybe this Christmas
Maybe this Christmas


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. I'm delurking because after a horrible year....reading this post made me smile.
Thank you.
We actually share someone dear to both of us who passed away almost 3 years ago. Have a beautiful holiday.

10:37 AM  
Blogger deano said...

It has been a stinker year. I think there are many of us smiling weakly with relief that it's over; or, from exhaustion. Maybe both.

One thing about this year I feel good about: we built some reading rooms overseas (via Room to Read - an amazing org). One, in Nepal, is being dedicated to our friend Sofa. I'll get some pictures when it's finished & I'll put them up.

Have a wonderful holiday and a much better 08. Like the Fabs said - it can't get much worse.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dean, nice tribute to Sofa, and good call on the Sexsmith. I saw RS here a few months ago, but it was too early for him to break out an Xmas tune. He did tear up an old Louvin Bros. number, singing harmony w/ Nick Lowe. Kinda like this. Since you're talking old school . . .

Well, belated Xmas wishes. Hey, there's a potential song, although maybe the Chipmunks got there first.

VC

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dean,

Got your holiday CD in the mail on Friday. Thanks as always for new music!

7:43 AM  
Blogger deano said...

Proving that Chicago has the worst mail delivery service in the world! I sent these out on Dec 11!

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home