Wednesday, August 09, 2006

"Hey Brent." "Hey Kira."

Not Hello, not Hi... Hey.

Even the CNN talking heads, establishment personified, now use Hey as their preferred salutation du jour. This kinda weirds me out. I can't say Hey anymore without feeling sheepish.

I never really incorporated kick-ass into my own stilted vocabulary. Now that it too is ubiquitous, I don't miss not using it. But I wonder if the kewl kidz are going crazy trying to come up with fresh colloquialisms. The half-life of new slang is infintesimal - anything remotely new and edgy seems to be immediately adopted as a mainstream idiom.

Blame the internets?

I have gone back to using Uh-huh instead of Right On. Pity that.

Yes, I know - this entry makes me sound old. Perhaps The Youth don't mind mass acceptance. I've been told that whole counter-culture, be an individual, do your own thing, question authority bit is so twentieth century. I will just sit back and watch the wheels go 'round - that's the ticket.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lady Crumpet said...

Oh dear. I do say "Hey" instead of "Hi" or "Hello." I should probably be doing that more in the workplace and with my elders at least. ;)

2:13 PM  
Blogger deano said...

But you're still a kid, so it's ok. ;-)

3:49 PM  
Blogger Jimbuck2 said...

See my recent posting re: "sucks". Join the Spock revolution! "Indeed" is the new "absolutely"!

I need a nap.

4:23 PM  
Blogger deano said...

Now that "brilliant" has crossed the pond, there is no future...indeed.

5:19 PM  
Blogger deano said...

"What's crunchin', codpiece?"

So sayeth King of the Neoelizabethians. Rule with fairness & compassion.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig it.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home