Monday, May 29, 2006


Stella : 2/2/92 - 5/28/06

Stella left us Sunday morning. She's been fading for a while. This was expected. When she refused to eat any more solid food after Wednesday, I knew she had made her decision. Turning down 'human food' was not in her nature. In her final days, she would sip a little water now and then and go curl up to sleep in one of her favorite spots. We had guests up for the weekend and Stella did marshall the energy for one last display of something she could still do - she took a little poo right in front of our guests (it was done outside, so she was still a 'goooood girl').

I think she had a comfortable exit. We had her on the bed with us...and our other cocker, Samantha, was there too. We would gently pet her and I am positive I could see something like contentment in her eyes. It was weak, and fading, but it was there. Before she expired, Stella made some puppy-like yips, followed by a few sweet rumblings that sounded like 'I loved you too.' There was a very long pause, then, one final exhalation.

I'm very grateful we were able to have given her a country dog lifestyle for the final few months of her life. She definitely enjoyed the serenity and smells. She spent her entire last Saturday resting beneath the apple and cherry trees. We buried her in a peaceful spot there. Sleep well, old girl.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

STELLA!

I am sorry for your loss, may she be in another world where she can chase squirrels and eat steak every day!

3:59 PM  
Blogger deano said...

You nailed the naming inspiration, Holly.

Back in her slightly badder earlier days, we often had opportunities to reenact Brando's shouting scene. But soon she became 'bella stella,' so it was all good.

We wanted cocker #2 to be male so we could name him Stanley. But a little female pup won our hearts first. Sammy seems to miss her older sis - but they ultimately move on a little quicker than we sentimental humans do.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences. How good for her that you could let her slip away in peace.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dean, sorry to hear about Stella. She sure was a cute little thing.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Stella.
My pups are looking at me as I type this. Think I'll go spend some extra time with them.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad, such sweet (and lucky) dogs, both. Last time I was out there she had a little health scare, didn't she? But she stuck around a couple more years, just waiting for Fair Play, perhaps.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dean and Debra, so sorry to hear of your loss. Having said goodbye to my big ol' cat very recently, I undertand exactly what your going through. Stella was lucky to have been so loved.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, Deano. But I'm sure she enjoyed the country air and the thought of chasing up another skunk.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about Stella. What a sweet girl. I'm glad she had such wonderful people for her family.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences, Dean & Deb. I well remember those two lil' bundles of energy scampering round the house poking their noses into everything. Remember when they got into my bag and ate one of my carrot energy bars? Despite the bag being closed ... Long life to Sammy, best wishes to you & Deb.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Late sending these wishes - but good travels to Stella Stellarum. All dogs go to heaven.

4:18 PM  
Blogger jefe said...

sorry for your loss Deano.

Dogs are little people with double the legs

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home