Tuesday, February 08, 2005

You Got Served: a music video challenge

KONOMO No.1

Over at Randomness Personified, we've been having a friendly and spirited discussion, of the merits of Kelly Clarkson's new video: Since U Been Gone.

For those who haven’t seen it, you can hit the link below, or let me fill you in on the particulars:

Since The Man has been gone, instead of being left with only a band of gold, or the dreams she holds, Kelly gets what she wants. She will not be denied; unlike the forlorn Freda Payne - who clearly was unliberated and not responsible for her own orgasms.

Linus, of the ever entertaining Pepper of the Earth, was pretty stirred up by the vid. He runs a little indie label out of Brooklyn – yet he still has the ability not to be annoyed by effluence emitted by the Mega-corp Music Machine. Very amazing; muy respecto. I, on the other hand, am not so amazing. I was about to try to explain in detail why I felt the Clarkson song/video was a particularly ripe example of the tasteless garbage corporate music dictators inflict on society.

But….I stopped. I was boring even myself, trying to put it into words.

Instead, I’ve decided a better idea would be to put up an example of a music video that I really like. You can compare the two and make up your own minds. And yes, you can consider it a contest. They are very different; so just see which one moves you mo bettah. The time honored observation (Ellington's?) that “there’s only two types of music, good and bad,” shouldn’t apply when it’s man vs. machine. The process and the means are important; it’s not just about the end result. The more resources you use, the less imagination you need to rely on. Besides… it’s music, not french fries! freeda people, right on.

Mike, you got served; music video stylee:

KONOMO No.1 Video link here

CLARKSON Video link here

And muy muy respecto to good folks at ol Aquarius Records, for turning me onto KONOMO No.1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home