Thursday, September 16, 2004

Strut

Yesterday, I set up a voter registration table at a jobs fair. The logic being twofold: job seekers probably wouldn't be too enthused with the current state of affairs nor 'leadership;' and the fair might also attract a high number of the recently relocated, who need to re-register to vote.

Gotta say, I was right on both counts. Big numbers of new Kerry-ready registrants yesterday. Only a couple for the other side - though I register non-partisan stylee.

But also what an opportunity for people watching. It was like the DMV, only with more visible vulnerability and desperation. Looking at people, looking for work, is very voyeuristic. Those of us behind the booths were the johns. The attendees, well...you get the picture.

Then, there was one woman. Who wears a t-shirt, with 'Marijuana' stenciled across the front, to a jobs fair? Rock on, sistah...?

I'm just sitting here
watching the wheels go round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home