Wednesday, May 19, 2004

7 CD Reviews

I've found some music that is doing it for me again. It's been a while since I could say that. Over the next week or so, I'll post a personal review each day. Watch your dosage. Everything in moderation.

1. The Stands - All Years Leaving

This is my current feel-good disc of the spring~summer. Liverpools' latest fab product, naturally Noel Gallagher is a big fan. But don't let that influence you. Now touring with Jet. I don't like much of that 90s syrupy-pop these days. Which is why I hesitate to say The Stands have taken up where Teenage Fanclub & The Las left off. In fact, I can barely listen to those two bands now (what was I thinking then?). Thankfully, The Stands understand better the real beauty within Beatles, Byrds (and Dylan and Neil Young) music. They know how to craft within that musical context, but without getting all ooey-gooey, cloying and imitative. You'll spot the influences, but The Stands have effectively integrated them, rather than doing a boring, rehash job. Very fine sunshine sounds; a good play, when you're having the village green preservation society over for tea. Get it,'tea' (they say these guys are big pot-heads)? 4/5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home