Monday, May 05, 2003

"Lamb - The Gospel According To Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal"

I finally finished this Christopher Moore book. I think it took a while because I kept being distracted to go on the internet & look up historical details.

The book is fictional humor. But there's something about the Greatest Story Ever Told that still makes me want to 'know' what really happened. I've tried reading John Crossman's "Historical Jesus" - more than once. I am OK knowing I will never finish that one.

It's interesting to me there isn't much of a record of Jesus' life between infancy and his 30s. And what does exist is truly spotty. Like what they sometimes refer to as the Gnostic Gospels. Some pretty weird stuff there. One, in particular, the Infancy Gospel Of Thomas speaks of one mighty smiteful little bugger. Some poor kid, apparently hyperactive, makes the mistake (the sin!) of bumping into The Son Of God on the playground. The spaz is immediately smitten; smote well and rightly, dead.

Later Jesus even blinds the poor kid's parents.

The Infancy Gospel goes on to also relate some of the good miracles Lil Jesus performed. But it's disingenuous - they're basically the same miracles he is credited with as a man (raising the dead, creating *huge* amounts of food) - only now from the perspective of what a boy would be dealing with. Fun reading.

The epilogue of Moore's book closes out with a pretty good joke. If you're not going to read the book, I can spill the punchline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home