Monday, December 02, 2002

How about The Last Word...

...on the novelating; for a while, at least.

Went to the NaNo wrap up party last night. Getting to meet a group of like-minded creationists was a wonderful way to wrap up an interesting month.

Attendees were asked to bring along a printed excerpt from their novels, for clothes-pinning to a string of xmas lights. A nice way to sample all the wares. As realtors say, location is everything. I put my excerpt near the bathroom door. As the beer and champagne flowed, I found my audience.

Chris Baty, lead NaNoWriMoid, spoke briefly; putting into words feelings I could relate with. He mentioned how we've all become accustomed to consuming art, rather than experiencing the joy of creating it for ourselves. Not that there's anything wrong with buying that CD, or book. But there's another approach that's available to us all - it's in the doing.

Although I would never be presumptuous enough to think of myself as a writer now, at least when people ask about NaNo, I can say "It's just something I do."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home