Friday, December 20, 2002

Coyote Magi

My typical early morning wake up routine is to grab a cup of coffee and bring the dogs out back. They have a pee while I check the birdfeeders. With all the rain we've been having here, the valley has taken on a fresh outlook. No mudslides either - knock on wood. It's been years since we had one. '95 was the last time. Can you be nostalgic for calamities?

There's a pack of coyotes living on the other, wooded, side of the valley. I've seen them several times now, on our side, since the rains began. I wonder why. My suburban spaniels wouldn't have the smarts not to get in a mix-up with them, so I have to do a fairly complete survey of the slopes before letting them run around.

This morning, three coyotes were there, munching on the fallen apples from our tree. After a while they noticed me and turned downslope to return to their side of the valley. There's a road in the valley bottom. Like well adjusted pedestrians, they lined up single file to make the crossing. If the clouds weren't overhead, Saturn could have played the part of the guiding star. We had one morning of clear skies this week and the view of the planet is fantastic right now. If you have a telescope, the rings are highly visible.

As the coyotes crossed, the early commuter traffic on the road paused. I hope the driving public enjoyed the view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home