Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Singular and collective things

As if we need another reason to visit the wine country: when it rains a lot, there is The Lake Berryessa Glory Hole. Here's a nice pic, another with the water level just below the lip
&
a video from the 2003 rainy season. I keep hearing, 'there's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza...'


In backyard news, slipping acres has been innundated with a flutter of butterflies. I don't know if it's due to all the rain last week, but the sky sure is busy out back. The persistent heron (singular) keeps visiting our koi pond. I can't find a collective noun for koi - maybe a koan of koi? This spring, we are again hosting a gatling of woodpeckers, a peep of goldfinch (I made that one up) and a charm, or a shimmer, of hummingbirds. I prefer my own - a resonance of hummingbirds. A profusion of bloom hatches a usage of aviary collectives.

Some more favorite miscellaneous collective nouns, discovered here:

a shortage of dwarves
a spread of nymphomaniacs
an aarmory of aardvarks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home